Names that are considered old-fashioned, young, and trendy in America

1) Names that sound like seniors in countryside


These are names that were popular in the beginning of the 20th century. Korean equivalents are: Okja, Kkotboon, Mansoo, Yongpal, etc.


2) Names that are old-fashioned but lasting long


These are names still loved for its ordinariness. Korean equivalents are: Youngsoo, Chulsoo, etc.


3) Names that sound like your next-door ajussis/ajummas


These are names that were popular for a short time during Baby Boom generation and X generation, but are now considered a bit old-fashioned. Korean equivalents are: Miae, Misook, etc.


4) Names that sound like university students & young adults


These are names that are common among 80~90ers. Korean equivalents are: Jihoon, Hyunwoo, Jihye, Yoojin, etc.


5) Names that are trendy right now


These are names that are favored by young American couples. The names have classic and exotic sounds. Korean equivalents are: Yejoon, Siwoo, Seoyoon, Jia, etc.

(Info by Social Security Administration of America)

-

Pann: Names that are considered old-fashioned in America

1. [+37, -0] Maybe because it's English but I can't really tell the difference. They all seem similar...

2. [+11, -3] Last year, I went to the US as an exchange student. I used Elizabeth as my name and a lot of people asked me why I had an old-fashioned name ㅋㅋ So my friends and teachers called me Liz instead.

3. [+6, -0] My Korean name is Sooji so I use Suzy as my English name, but people said it was equivalent to Kkotja, Okboon. I was so shocked ㅠㅠ

4. [+4, -0] For girls, there are so many Chloe's and Emma's. I know 8 Emma's already...

5, [+4, -0] What about Rachel?

6. [+3, -0] Rose sounds so pretty, though ㅠㅠ

 
Back To Top